The morning of the race, I woke up at 3 am and got a shower and got ready to go, arriving at the race before 4 am. In our corrals by 5 am, I met some really nice girls (meaning girls my age or a little younger) LOL! Two that were in front of me, Kelly and Amanda, had made these shirts for themselves. So cute, I had to ask if I could take a picture. That is how we got talking...meeting them and another girl, Lee, really calmed my nerves and made the event an even more special day for me.
Before each corral took off across the finish line, they lit off fireworks to start us off!!! Very exciting!!!!
Here I am with my new friend, Lee, she was so sweet and seemed like a really neat person. Also to her credit, she is a veteran, having served in the Navy and in the war for our country.
The race day was a bit crazy for me, as I began, I felt the course of nature take over and I felt like I really needed to go to the bathroom, if you know what I mean. Not good, I ran like that for four miles at my pace that I wanted to 11:30/mile, looking along the way at all the porta potties, and thinking how I could not possibly wait in those LONG lines during a race, until somewhere between mile 4 and 5, I think, I saw one with a bit shorter line. I waited in line, chatted with some other runners and looked at my watch, quickly the minute per mile pace was growing, growing, growing. I don't even know for sure, but I think that it was up to 25 minutes/mile by the time I finished, that was a great bummer for me, knowing now that it would be highly unlikely that I could finish with a good time. But I ran with intensity, still taking the appropriate set walk breaks and was able to make up some time on that mile. All in all, I felt a lot better after going to the bathroom anyway and there was really no choice for me in that matter.
It was way different running in a race with so many people, there were 13,000 plus finishers. The roads were crowded and you have to do a lot of bobbing and weaving in between people to pass, it is pretty crazy. Somewhere along the way before mile 6 I stopped my watch and messed things up. I decided it was a good thing for a while but then as I got the chills and was feeling more and more exhausted, I thought it would be better to turn it back on to get a better pace for myself. I set it for what I thought I had left, but it turns out I was wrong. When we got to mile 10, I thought I was on mile 11. Not a good thing to find out when you feel kind of wrecked, an extra mile, ugh!!!! I was not happy. I had been getting the chills, even though I was pouring water on myself and drinking at every station too. This being the case, when I discovered I had still 3 miles and not 2, I got a lump in my throat, lost my will. I was having trouble making myself run and really wondering for a minute what provoked me to do this.
Somehow, I won the game in my mind to continue running, thank the Lord. I talked myself through it and kept on. When I got to the 11 mile marker, I felt encouraged, the 12 mile marker, really really glad. That last mile, I had no idea, like I usually do about how far I had left to go, I would run all out and walk for 30 sec., and kept doing this. I got to the final stretch and I started to walk, I heard someone in the crowd cheering me on, I picked it up again and ran to the finish,and as I did I saw my family along the side of the road. Oh how glad I was for that to be over!!! I stumbled with weak legs towards the photo area, with thousands and thousands of people around me. I borrowed a phone to call my family to meet me around the snacks area where they gave us, bananas, oranges, protein bars, and water. I was so glad to have them there with me, so glad. I felt relieved that it was over and glad that I accomplished it. Even though it was hard, and little unlike I thought it would be due to the running through the crowds and especially b/c of my bathroom stop and troubles, I was really glad that I did it. The finish time was 2:49. So....with all the difficulties I felt and the 10-12 minute stop for the potty, I am thankful. I did a good job!
Just as it was over, I remembered what Jeff Galloway said about waiting a week before you make any decisions about racing, either scheduling your next one, or vowing to never do one again. For me, parts of this race might have provoked the decision to not do another, but just a day later, I was already thinking about my next running goal. Thankfully, I still like running. LOL!!!
Within an hour or so after running, I had the worst tummy trouble ever, I thought I had a virus. But after a few hours with the troubles, I felt good again and then I knew it came from the stress I had put on my body during the race. I was very thankful to feel good again and very thankful that it was not a virus since we were to be vacationing in Disney this week.
Running the half-marathon was a great experience, full of it's up and downs, (literally too, there were a few hills in the race that I didn't expect, thinking I had left the hills behind in the Hill City). I will definitely keep running and hopeful do many more half-marathons in my lifetime, if the Lord allows.
7 comments:
I literally have tears in my eyes right now. I'm so proud of you, and inspired! Way to go. You did it!
I'm so glad you posted about your race. I love the pictures. I'm so proud of you. You are such a wonderful encouragement and inspiration to me! Can't wait for you to come home.
I was teary-eyed after reading this, too! I am so proud of you! What an accomplishment, especially your perseverance through the really hard parts. Love you, friend!!!
Thank you, dearies!!!! You all are really great. I am thankful for your support and encouragement!! It means so much to me!! I love all three of you, you are dear friends!!!!
TERRIFIC T~~YOUR TIME WAS AWESOME~~especially having to stop to do your thang!
You should put the Lynchburg Half on your goal list. It is on August 13. I hope I can do it again this year. I have stopped running for three weeks and am doing the Jilliam 30 day shred for the month of March.
Keep going, girl!
http://www.poplarforest.org/events/5k
this race looks fun.
Thanks, Kim!! I have been thinking about my next running goals, maybe I will try the Lynchburg one. Angela told me you were going to do the Shred. That is a great workout.
Thanks for all your encouragement, and I will also look at the poplar forest 5K.
Have a great day!!!
Post a Comment